Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Tamale Place










So, awhile back when we talked about La Bamba, Ro left us a comment suggesting that we try The Tamale Place for a good tamale. We took that comment seriously and vowed to get all the way over to Rockville Rd. as soon as we had a chance. Well, we didn't have to go nearly as far because it turns out that they were one of the food vendors at this past weekend's Broad Ripple Art Fair. We chose a Spicy Chipotle Chicken tamale, and Ro was absolutely right. This was one great tamale. We weren't expecting great things, since they would have prepared the tamales on the west side, brought them to Broad Ripple and let them spend time in a steam table, but the tamale was perfect. Served in the traditional corn husk, the masa (the corn meal exterior) was nice and moist, and the chicken had just the right amount of heat and smokiness. At $2.75 each, they are pretty much a meal in itself. We can't wait to get to their location on Rockville Road to try them all.

Tamale Place on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Argh, I really wanted one on Sunday, but they ran out. I guess there's always next year.

Sarah said...

Wow, I have been curious about the Tamale Place for a while now since it is just a mile down the road from work. I've finally found some non-timid coworkers to lunch with, so a tamale lunch may be in my future this week!

WYA! said...

Sarah, let us know what you think of them. Kevin, PLEASE don't wait until next year. We know Rockville Rd. can be a bit of a haul, depending on where you live/work, but they are worth it.

Anonymous said...

I love this place. I fly in from Boston once a year to visit family, and freeze 3 dozen to take back with me to last me until my next visit. AMAZING.