We can't remember where this recipe came from but, when we want to indulge, these cookies always hit the spot. The original recipe called for the chips to be chocolate but we like to use white chocolate chips. Either way, it's hard to go wrong with this one. It's a good thing to make for your Valentine if you want to show some effort and save some $$.
2/3 cup Crisco shortening
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tbs water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups (12 oz pkg) semi-sweet chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375
- Combine Crisco, light brown sugar, water, and vanilla in large mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat eggs into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed until just blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Drop rounded tsp of dough 2" apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375 for 7-9 minutes or until cookies are set. Cookies will appear soft and moist- do not over bake.
- Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes. Place sheets of foil on counter top. Transfer cookies to foil to cool completely.
yields about 3 dozen