Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Do you have a "third place"?

We just heard this interesting story on NPR about Gregory Rodriguez's column, The Economy and Us. He writes about America's diminishing civic engagement and the importance of that social interaction that is more likely to take place in a coffeehouse than in an organization with "a common purpose or agenda". He refers to sociologist Ray Oldenburg's term "the third place" that is neither work nor home where you can interact with people who you have no common thread with aside from the fact that you are both in that space. As the economy becomes more bleak, we need this places more but it is these hard times that means they might not be able to stay in business. We can't really think of a third place that we have and we wondered if our readers have one.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I used to and I miss it. Around 10-12 years ago I was a regular at The Abbey on Massachusetts Ave. It was a great place to just hang out with my friend; especially since we lived with our parents!

WYA! said...

Oh, that Abbey was great. I think we've only been to the new one once. We were never regulars though. What a bummer that your third place is gone!

Unknown said...

I loved and miss the old Massachusetts Ave location. Its been quite a while since I've been the the newer location.

Rebecca said...

No third place for me, but I wish there were. Something to be on the lookout for in '09.

nora leona said...

Northside Newsstand hands down.
The Red Key might be my "fourth place."