Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's in Belgium-Film and food


We went to see the film "In Bruges" translated- It's in Belgium. Based on the movie poster, I thought this would be one of those lighthearted British caper films, like "Snatch" or "Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels". I was mistaken. This is, by far, the most politically incorrect film I've seen in a long time, if ever. There are moments of hyperviolence so extreme that Quentin Tarantino would have to look away. And I loved every minute of it.

I've always held a casual disregard for Colin Farrell, but guess what? Given the right script, he can act. Farrell, and the "Gene Hackman" of British film are two hit men, who are sent to hide out in Belgium after a hit goes horribly, horribly wrong. In their exile. Farrell rants about how awful Belgium is ( although I'm ready to move there after this film), there is a racist dwarf, a skin head robber, and the female lead is a swindling drug dealer. Ralph Fiennes has never been better. His mob boss character nearly stole the film, although with excellent performances from the strangest cast since 1932's Freaks make that nearly impossible.


The director, McDonagh, dovetails the oddities in and out flawlessly. Like the last game of football season, I found myself sorry it was over, and wanting a little more.


If you see this film and want to keep the "Belgium mood" going. I have to recommend http://www.bruggebrasserie.com/ , right in the heart of Broad Ripple, go get some pomme frites, some steamed mussels and wash them down with the Sacre Fleur Saison, a refreshing beer with lavender.

No comments: